Sunday, March 29, 2009

What is the Internet good for?

I don't suppose many people have ever asked themselves that. But I find myself increasingly including links to other people's articles, or sites that I have found interesting, and which deal with the topic under discussion.
In ways never before possible, the Internet offers the means to share, and debate knowledge.
On my own blog I present musical resources in the hope of encouraging readers to find their own musical voice, but in the telling of my stories, I also try to include as much relevant background information as possible.
Yes, there is a lot of unreliable information out there, but if we compare notes, and share what we have found to be true, perhaps in time we can outweigh the poorer-quality information. And have fun doing it, after all, human beings are nothing if not sociable creatures. And I believe that is one of the reasons sharing information is so important to us.
Which came first, sharing knowledge, or sociability? I think one provided the means to the other.

No comments: